Safety Tips for Bowhunters
- Select a bow that is properly fitted to you and that meets the legal and ethical requirements of the game you plan to hunt.
- Ensure that the bow is in good operating condition. Conduct a pre-hunt inspection of your equipment before each trip.
- Purchase arrows matched to the draw weight and draw length of your bow. Mismatching equipment can lead to poor accuracy, safety problems, and possible injury.
- Make sure that the arrows are straight and that their points are sharp and matched to the game you're pursuing.
- Tune your bow to the equipment (such as broadheads) you will be using.
- Assemble a repair and maintenance kit with spare parts and tools. An archery pro shop can recommend items and give instructions on maintenance.