Rules for Turkey Hunting
For safety, follow these simple rules when turkey hunting.
- Never wear red, white, blue, or black, the colors of a male wild turkey. Dress defensively, and wear hunter orange when moving in the turkey woods.
- Never stalk turkey sounds or attempt to sneak up on wild turkeys. Always call the turkey to you.
- Avoid using gobble calls that might attract other hunters to your location.
- Avoid using tail-fanning techniques. Even if you are out in the open where there is little additional cover, fans may be large enough to hide you while you are lying down. Another hunter might think the tail fan is a gobbler and shoot.
- Put decoys in an open area and use extreme caution to avoid attracting other hunters.