To unload a firearm safely:
- Ensure the muzzle is kept pointed in a safe direction.
- Attempt to put your safety in the on position.
- Keep your finger away from the trigger area.
- Open the action.
- Remove the ammunition. Eject cartridges or shells by cycling the action, if it is the only way to remove them—use extra care with lever-action firearms.
- Count the shells or cartridges to help ensure the firearm is empty.
- Ensure the safety is in the on position.
- Visually check the chamber and receiver/magazine area to ensure they are clear of any ammunition.
- If two or more people are involved, stand back-to-back to keep all the muzzles pointed in safe directions.