Field Dressing Larger Game
Here are some additional tips for dressing large game.
- Because it’s harder to move larger animals, you may need to skin and quarter the animal to pack it out, particularly in a remote area.
- If you’re unable to hang the animal for skinning, begin by making a lengthwise cut and removing one side of the hide. Then turn the animal onto the skinned hide and skin the other side.
- To keep dirt off the meat, use the inside of the removed hide as a protective mat as you quarter the animal.
- Put each quarter in a game sack and attach the sacks to a backpack frame for the hike out.
- It is not necessary to cut the throat or remove the scent glands before field dressing big game animals.