Handgun Safety Tips
- Many home firearm incidents involve the use of handguns. Keep handguns out of the reach of inexperienced shooters and children.
- If you are around a gun that is new or unfamiliar to you, leave it alone! It could be loaded, and careless handling might cause it to fire.
- Maintain safe muzzle control at all times! Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.
- The safest way to carry handguns and other firearms is with an empty chamber. If there is a cartridge under the hammer, some handguns can discharge when they are dropped or if the hammer is struck by a blow.
- Make sure that handguns (and all other firearms) are unloaded before you handle them.